Submission Guidelines - Visual Arts
We welcome artist and curatorial proposals for the BCA campus, which includes the Mills Gallery, Cyclorama and our outdoor Plaza. While the majority of our exhibitions are not the result of unsolicited submissions, there are shows that come to us this way. In order to help you, please note the following:
Who Are We?
Before you submit materials, you may want to look around our website and see what we do. This won’t tell you what we are looking for in future programming, since the Boston Center for the Arts is in constant evolution, but it will give you some idea of what our general programming sensibilities are; innovative, contemporary and non-commercial are good guideposts.
We closely review unsolicited proposals, but since we are a busy, non-profit space and we take pride in looking carefully at each of them, it can sometimes take us a while to get back to you. We aren’t ignoring you, or being rude; it’s part of the deal. Deal?
Unless otherwise noted, we accept and review submissions on an ongoing basis.
Visual Arts Submission Guidelines
Resumes, statements, bios and press clippings are all helpful but not nearly as important as good quality, labeled images of your work. DO NOT send original artwork; we can’t be responsible for the handling or return of original materials! Hard copy proposals are preferred, taking the following into consideration:
- We accept images in jpeg format on CD or DVD.
- We are a Mac operation; anything not easily viewed on a Mac platform will not likely get looked at. Sorry.
- Please label images using “Last Name_Title of Work.”
- Image files must be no larger than 1MB.
- Do not email large image files! Up to 1MB is OK, but any email with attachments that add up to more than 5MB will be deleted.
- Please note that submissions will NOT be returned.
Audio, Video Guidelines
- Video should be submitted on DVD in NTSC format.
- Audio samples should be submitted on CD only, but can be MP3, or AIFF encoded. Rule of thumb: if iTunes can play it, send it along.
Send all submissions to:
Visual Arts Submissions
Boston Center for the Arts
539 Tremont Street
Boston, MA 02116