Now accepting Fall 2016 internship applications.
Want to explore a career in the creative sector? Find yourself wondering about how the arts are funded, produced and shared? Curious about the role of the arts in the community? If so, Boston Center for the Arts is the place for you! From visual arts to theatre, arts administration to graphic design, BCA’s internship program offers a variety of ways to get involved. A hub of the Boston arts community, the BCA offers an array of internships and the opportunity to set individual goals, work on a wide range of projects, and learn about the local arts community. There’s the added bonus of networking with artists and arts professionals while enjoying fun-filled social events.
Internships at the BCA are unpaid. However, interns can arrange to earn academic credit through their educational institution.
In their own words…
“I gained valuable knowledge about arts administration and I was never denied the opportunity to learn something exciting and new.” — Jamie, Fall 2014
“Although my official job title was not illustration based, my supervisor was aware of my skill as an artist and made it a point to integrate my major into my Community Outreach assignments. The individualized attention she gave me helped to cultivate an immense sense of growth and learning.”— Danielle, Fall 2014
“The skills I have acquired here will benefit me as I continue in the field of arts administration/management and I recommend it to anyone interested in learning what goes on behind the scenes in the art world!” — Jordan, Summer 2015
“Each day I was given a handful of tasks — which were never monotonous — by a warm, friendly and inspiring supervisor. I learned how the donation process works and, while sitting in on meetings, received a first-hand view of the interconnectedness of the BCA staff members and departments” — Hannah, Summer 2015
Volunteer Gallery Attendant
Boston Center for the Arts accepts applications year-round for volunteer Gallery Attendants in the Mills Gallery. The Volunteer Program offers an opportunity to gain experience and knowledge of a non-profit arts organization and to gain insight into the Boston arts community. Gallery Attendants are the face of the BCA and an important link between our programs, gallery and our public. They oversee the safety of exhibited work while creating a welcoming environment for visitors. They are also required to attend mandatory gallery and visitor service training.
Gallery Attendant responsibilities include:
- Opening and closing gallery
- Enforcing gallery rules in a polite but firm manner
- Collecting visitor information
- Becoming knowledgeable about the exhibit and artists on view as well as BCA-wide programs
- Initiating and encouraging dialogue with and among visitors
- Serving as a general resource for our public by providing information about BCA programs, exhibits, performances and events
- Assisting in event/performance production in the gallery
We offer Attendants:
- Invitations to exclusive talks given by artists, performers, curators, etc
- Valuable visitor service training including an introduction to educational theories and techniques
- Professional gallery operations experience
- Opportunities to work with BCA staff, as well as artists, curators, special guests
- Opportunities to create new relationships and networks
Apply to volunteer